Saturday Night Live Christmas Special 2013 Quick Review
Released : Dec. 4th, 2013
Reviewed : Dec. 30th, 2013
Genre : TV Comedy / Sitcom
I will try to keep this one with as little ranting as possible against my will.
One would think when a show does a special usually revolving around a holiday that said program will be new material or at least some new material. Not with this special though, what we got was a hour and a half of used material some going back 30+ years. Nothing new at all. What really got me though is the fact that almost no effort was put into it. Sketches were still in there that not only stated what year they were from but were all just pop references that aren’t relevant or funny anymore. Almost like someone in the SNL database just searched the hot word Christmas then added anything that popped up.
From some quick notes I made while watching I’ll list a handful of the skits they showed and say my thoughts on it.
- Opening song with Jimmy Fallon was good
- Alec Baldwin as head elf giving lecture to lower elf’s was great.
- Steve Martin giving his wish list was good
- Adam Sandler Hanukkah song is a classic
- Justin Timberlake as a dancing Cup O’ Soup was great
- Jeff Daniels / Cookie Monster sing a long wasn’t funny
- Dick In A Box music video
- Adult charlie brown play isn’t funny.
- Micheal Buble Christmas album is funny.
Overall Google the skits that you like because odds are you’ve seen them before. SNL, take note on this, next year for a special make something new. Otherwise don’t label it as a special just label it as the best of SNL presents Christmas.